At Lanesborough we aim to develop each individual pupil’s full potential in reading, writing, and speaking and listening. We do this through a wide variety of teaching styles to appeal to the broad interests and abilities, from the Nursery to Common Entrance or scholarship at 13 years.
We follow the National Curriculum as a basis and participate in Progress Testing in English (PTE) in Years 3 to 5 followed by examinations in Year 6 and 7 with Common Entrance or scholarship in Year 8.
Our results were acknowledged by a recent Inspection as “far above the national average". This is testament to the dedication of the English Department staff and the confidence and motivation of the pupils.
Amongst other activities pupils in different year groups experience annually:
- a visit from a theatre company
- a visit to the theatre
- an overnight trip to Stratford-upon-Avon
- participation in World Book Day, National Poetry Day
- a Book Week with author visits, literary walks, competitions, book character day, cross-curricular activities
- class, inter-House, School-wide and national competitions such as Spellathon, Poetry Quiz, Book Reviews, Readathon, Essays, Debates
- writing opportunities to authors, newspapers and magazines
- a fully stocked Library (regularly updated with books, magazines, newspapers), class libraries, School Bookshop and computer suite.
Head of English