Each boy brings his own gifts and talents which are valued and nurtured through a wide range of learning opportunities. These are aimed at stimulating your son's development in an intellectual, physical, spiritual, social and emotional sense. Progress is encouraged through immediate praise and through stickers, certificates celebrating achievements, whether it is academic or a personal skill, e.g. being kind or helpful. Good behaviour is encouraged through positive praise, gentle guidance and simple Golden Rules.
The Nursery and Reception (Shell)
The curriculum is well planned, broad and balanced to ensure that every boy can access and progress through the Early Years Foundation Stage seven areas of Learning and Development. We work alongside the parents to ensure a coherent learning experience for each boy.
The prime areas are:
- Communication and language - promoting confidence in expressing themselves and skills in listening.
- Physical Development - promoting co-ordination, control and movement, alongside an understanding of the importance of staying healthy and active. Shell boys enjoy some games sessions with trained PE staff.
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development - promoting positive relationships, developing respect for others and understanding appropriate behaviour.
The specific areas are:
- Literacy - Encouraging boys to link sounds and letters and to begin to read and write. Boys have access to a wide range of reading materials to generate their interest. 'Read, write inc' by Ruth Miskin is the core resource in our Early Years.
- Mathematics - Encouraging skills in counting, mathematical problem solving, simple addition and subtraction and practical activities involving shape, space and measure.
- Understanding the world - Encouraging boys to make sense of their physical world and their community through opportunities to explore, observe and find out about people, places, technology and the environment.
- Expressive arts and design - Encouraging boys to explore and play with a wide range of media and material. We also provide opportunities for participation in art, music, movement, dance, role play and design and technology. Our boys enjoy weekly music lessons with a specialist teacher.
Years One and Two
The curriculum offers a broad content of study, using the National Curriculum (Key Stage One) as a basic framework. The combination of group work activities and high individual attention promotes appropriate learning for all children across levels of ability. The curriculum is planned to smooth the transition to the Prep school with boys visiting the main school for lunches, PE and ICT lessons.
English - developing concepts and independent skills in 'Speaking and Listening', including 'Drama', 'Reading' and 'Writing'.
Mathematics - developing concepts and independent skills in 'Using and Applying Mathematics', 'Shape, Space and Measure' and 'Number', through practical and written work.
Science - activities organised to stimulate children's curiosity through opportunities for investigation, discussion, prediction, practical and written work.
Cross-Curricular Topic-Work - developing an understanding of concepts in History, Geography, Art and Design, through a stimulating, thematic programme of study.
French - taught in Year One and Two by a specialist teacher from the Prep Department.
Information and Communication Technology - all classes have computers which children use to support their learning. Each week the Years One and Two classes have a specialist lesson in the ICT suite in the Prep building.
Religious Education - promoting cultural understanding, moral and social values as well as understanding different faiths.
Personal, Health and Social Education (PHSE) - aimed to equip children with the knowledge, skills and understanding that they need to lead confident, healthy and independent lives.
Physical Education - developing co-ordination skills, manipulation and movement, through appropriate physical challenges, both indoors and outdoors, using a range of equipment. All children in Years One and Two have a swimming lesson each week at Spectrum Leisure Centre. Key Stage One pupils receive instruction from trained PE staff from the Prep department.
Music - developing appreciation and enjoyment through a variety of musical opportunities, such as the recorder, percussion instruments, and singing.
We undertake several trips throughout the year and welcome many visitors to the school, including parents, the RGS nurse, police, fire and ambulance services, all of whom share their knowledge and expertise with the boys.