About the School
Lanesborough is a long-established preparatory school. It is well known for its excellent academic and pastoral strengths alongside outstanding music departments and strong sport and extra-curricular opportunities for all boys. It has occupied the same site in a quiet, leafy residential area of Guildford since 1930.
In 1978 when the Royal Grammar School became independent, Lanesborough was also purchased by the same Governing Body but remains a separate, autonomous academic establishment. The Head is a member of the Incorporated Association of Preparatory Schools; Lanesborough is also the choir school for Guildford Cathedral.
The three original late nineteenth century houses which the school occupies have been updated and greatly extended with new buildings to provide extensive facilities for the boys. They still provide a homely atmosphere for classrooms and form an attractive backdrop to the large playing field.
The school is easily accessible by car and is close to Guildford's London Road railway station and bus routes. As well as the Royal Grammar School which is less than half a mile away, there are also two excellent schools for girls in the area. Many parents find the convenience of this close proximity helps to simplify family arrangements for travel to school.